4 things to know about your betta
- Bettas can live up to 3 years
- They grow up to 3 inches long
- Bettas can sometimes live with other peaceful community fish. However, you should only have one male or female betta in a tank without dividers and be prepared to remove the betta if they show signs of aggression towards other fish.
- Bettas gulp air from the surface of their tank.
How do I set up my betta’s tank?
Bettas need an aquarium with a filter that is at least three gallons. Set up their new home at least one day before they arrive.
Aquarium & stand
- The minimum size of the aquarium will depend on how many fish you have. For just a betta, the tank should be a minimum of 3 gallons.
- If you plan to have lots of community fish, follow this formula to determine whether the tank should be even larger: the aquarium should have 1 gallon of water for every inch of fully-grown fish.
- The aquarium should be near a power source, in a low-traffic area, away from direct sunlight and drafts.
- Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon. Pick a very sturdy, stable base for