Members of Congress are demanding one of the largest single product recalls in U.S. history after a top-selling flea and tick collar was linked to the deaths of nearly 1,700 pets and hundreds of injuries to humans.
“When we put the collar on, everything changed and was like a switch just flipped,” Alex Jaeger said.
Alex Jaeger and his mother, Eleanor, say two months after they put a Seresto collar on their golden retriever Blake, he developed seizures. They say their veterinarian gave Blake epilepsy medication, but the dog has never been the same.
“I don’t want anyone to ever go through this,” Eleanor Jaeger said.
Karen Pisano said one of her two 4-month-old kittens fell ill within two days of putting their collars on in August. The legs of her orange tabby, Oscar, began twitching.
“That’s when I became extremely alarmed,” Pisano said.
On a veterinarian’s advice, she says she immediately removed the collars but Oscar died that night.
“This poor thing, he didn’t do anything wrong. We didn’t do anything wrong. To see him pass — he didn’t deserve that,” Pisano said.
Seresto collars contain two different pesticides designed to ward off fleas and ticks. Retailer Elanco says